Monday, August 25, 2014

Blog Post # 1

This blog post is entitled Project 1. The purpose of this blog post is to answer a number of questions relating to EDM310.
Prior to taking EDM310 I had not spoken to anyone who had previously taken the course, so I had no idea what to expect.  Although I am somewhat proficient with computers, I was somewhat apprehensive because it has been many years since I have taken a computer course.  One of the fears I have about the course is not being able to keep up with the younger students.  The last college computer course I took was in 1997, and it was basic Microcomputer Applications.  Lots of changes in technology have been made since then!
In high school I took a computer class as an elective. We began by learning simple computer commands, computer language, and even learned about resistors. During the term, Windows 95 was released.  We then began using Microsoft Excel and Power Point as those programs were beginning to become popular.  The computer course i took when I first attended college was similar to the one I took in high school.  We had a manual and did projects throughout the manual as assignments.  In some ways, EDM310 is similar to that because we still have a manual and projects to do.  The major difference now is that it is paperless. The previous two courses focused on basic computer operation.  EDM310 expects the student to already be familiar with computers and build upon that knowledge.
If I had to pick a single most difficult thing that I will face in EDM310, it would be dedicating the 9 hours needed per week for success.  I am married and have three children, one of which is a special needs child.  I also work about 25 hours per week.  Most of the time, I work until my place of employment closes and I do not get home until 11:00 p m.  I do realize, however, that it essential to dedicate a minimum of 9 hours per week for success.  In order to do that, I will have to cut down on wasted time doing non-productive things and spend that time focusing on EDM310.
I have a general idea about EDM310, however I still have a thing or two that I am not sure of.  For instance:  What is the purpose of blogging?  What are appropriate topics to blog about?  I think the best way to answer those questions is to be thorough in my work and trust where the instructor is taking me. The first part of the journey may confusing and even scary but it will eventually lead to an exciting conclusion!

2 comments:

  1. I am proficient with computers as well. I know how to use the basic computer programs like Power Point, Word, Excel and how to use social media sites like Twitter, and Facebook. I am taking 19 hours of course work this semester and working 28 hours a week. So I know that any spare time that I have will be spent doing the Projects, Blogs, and any other assignments for this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Blog Post #1, not Project #1. Please correct your title.
    Blogging? It is a platform for sharing your work with the world. The topics will be assigned to you.

    Welcome to EDM310.

    ReplyDelete